Nine Things I'll Remember About 2009

If you know me at all, you know that I love lists and being sentimental! The following are not necessarily the biggest sports stories of the year but more of the stories that I will remember from year 2009!

9. Six Overtimes! Syracuse vs. Connecticut in the Big East Tournament

Quite simply a basketball fans dream; six overtimes between two rivals in a meaningful game on basketballs biggest stage at Madison Square Garden!

8. Y.E. Yang beats Tiger Woods in the PGA Championship

Y.E. Beat Tiger in the 2009 PGA Championship. Tiger appeared human for the first time here. It was the first time Tiger ever has lost a major golf tournament when leading going into the final round. Tiger was 14-0 before little known South Korean Yang beat him!

7. Highland High School Wins The Boys Golf State Championship

Twenty-seven years since my school had last won the Championship! Oh how I wish it could have happened two years prior while I was still playing. None the less it is an awesome accomplishment for my friends and former teammates!

6. February 26- Utah State Basketball vs. Hawaii

The Aggies win their first outright regular season WAC Conference Championship! Front row seats, the team cutting down the nuts, and storming the court for my first time ever!

5. Phillies Return to the World Series

My favorite baseball team back competing for the world championship! Just a few mistakes away from being back-to-back world champions and probably a little higher on this list. It was really fun to watch them throughout the season.

4. Tom Watson in the British Open

It was a missed eight-footer on the final hole of regulation that separated 59-year-old Tom Watson from golf immortality. If he had made the putt he would be the oldest person ever to win a major but old Tom missed the putt and eventually lost the four hole playoff to first time major winner, Stewart Cink. This story has inspired hope in all of us who think it may be impossible to do something, that it is possible.

3. Utah State Basketball vs. Nevada & Being Ranked

On January 29 the Aggies were in the midst of a long winning streak when they welcomed rival Nevada into Logan. The game was close until Stavon Willams did this. Quite possibly the loudest I have ever heard an arena. Period. It gave me chills, and still does! The next week, when the top 25 polls came out the Aggies were ranked and gaining respect from the nation. To me, it is one of the coolest things to see your schools name with a number beside it. I can't wait till it happens again!

2. Tiger Woods Scandal

Simply amazing on the golf course, simply a terrible person. In my last post on this topic I said I thought I could support Tiger again, once he got his life turned around. Now, after thinking about it, I'm not so sure. I am much more likely to root for a good family man such as Phil Mickelson over Tiger. Tiger did amazing things throughout the past ten years and was rightly named AP Athlete of Decade. Being such a big player, how could he not.

1. December 2- Utah State Basketball vs. BYU

Ah.. Beating our arch rival on my birthday.. Definitely something I will always remember. Winning team, losing team, winning team, losing team. In the end it was bitter sweet as this was the last win of the Aggies 37-game home winning streak. If the streak had to end I'm sure glad that this win was a part of it.

Comments

Popular Posts