Chambers Bay

University Place, Washington

Hole 15- The Lone Fir

In my last course review on Prince's, I defined links golf; Chambers Bay redefines and modernizes that definition. The home to the 2015 U.S. Open is hard, fast, and unforgiving. It's also one of the most fun and fair courses I have played.

Being that I don't get the opportunity to play U.S. Open courses often, I wanted to make the most of the experience and teed it up from the back set. The course has the following stats: 7165 yards, a 75.6 rating, and a 139 slope. Oh, and in case you didn't know, the course is at sea level. I can confidently say it was the toughest recreational round of golf I have played. (The course played up to 7700 yards in the U.S. Open.)
Hole #3
The opening hole, a 559 yard, somewhat downhill par-5 is the most score-able hole on the course in my opinion. Of course, I went right under my 40 yard approach shot and made the first of many bogeys for the day. The fun really begins on the third hole, an average length par-3 with a huge two tiered and well guarded green and continues on the fourth hole, an uphill 530 yard par-5 rightly named "Hazard's Ascent."

The fifth hole is the first to offer the spectacular down hill views of the Puget Sound. Fourteen and fifteen offer similar views and start a set of spectacular set of finishing holes.

Hole #5

What I enjoyed the most about Chambers Bay was it wasn't the least bit gimmicky. It's a hard course but a fair course. Few tee-shots are blind and when they are, you have big landing areas. All the par-3's (with the occasional exception of number nine) are downhill and provide great attacking opportunities. There are so many ways to play this course, but long iron play is key. Unfortunately, it was one of the areas I was lacking in on the day I played.

My only real gripe about the course, would be the same as the players had in the 2015, the greens. They weren't always true and it did at times feel like you were putting over "broccoli".

The highlight for my round was driving the 12th green! (No blog pun intended.) It was the easiest par I had all day! I'm excited to get another crack at this course and definitely recommend it if you are in the area. I was able to get the twilight rate for my round and found at $100 the course is a great value.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts