Live from Luxembourg

The Grund, Luxembourg
So, I moved. To Luxembourg. No, not a city in Germany but a tiny country and city right next to Germany. The country is a little larger than the state of road and has almost as many inhabitants (600,000) of the Boise, ID area. I obviously moved here to try to make the country's Olympic golf team. Kidding, kinda. Amazon (work) gave me the opportunity and though I was extremely happy in Seattle, I couldn't say no to living abroad for few years.

There have been some cool/interesting sports moments for me already. I was invited to play golf at one of the country clubs in the area, Kikuoka, with another an Amazonian who is a member of one of the local golf society's. Think of a golf society like a men's league in the States without course sponsorship but exclusive, as in you need to be invited to join.  I must say, the first nine holes on continental Europe did go well as I was able to shoot a +1 (37) for nine holes and tied for the lowest score of the evening and won a sleeve of Pro V1's for having the lowest score as a guest. Hopefully, I will be invited back.

Another interesting event that happened in this first couple weeks is that Luxembourg's National soccer team played France to a tie in a World Cup Qualifying game. It was a huge moral victory for the team and the country as most of the Luxembourg team members are no where near the caliber as Les Bleus. I am hoping to go to see a qualifier when Luxembourg hosts here in the first week of October.

The thing I miss the most about the USA is football (and big kitchens, story for another time).  Thankfully, I have a good VPN and am streaming the Utah State football game as I type this.

Over the next few years, I hope to take in as many European sporting events in person as possible including:

The British Open
Wimbeldon
Ryder Cup (Sept. 2018 in France)
Tour de France
French Open
Champions League
... and who knows what else!

Along with golfing all the classics in the United Kingdom and skiing in the Alps, I should be busy. Stay tuned for more pictures and posts!

Comments

Popular Posts