Week 1: Fun and Done!

My first official week as The PJ Boatwright Jr. Intern for Idaho Golf Association is in the books!

The old saying "time flies when you are having fun" was definitely true for me this week. I learned so much about the back end operations of different programs that the IGA uses such as the Tournament Pairings Program and GHIN. I also got to update and revise the rules quiz given to junior golfers at the beginning of the season. I'll post a sampling of some questions to see how all you golfers out there do. Another project I started working on was contacting the tournament director of the Albertson's Boise Open, a Nationwide Tour Event, to see if we could get an exemption for the State Amateur Champion into the event. Hopefully we can make that happen.

The highlight of my week, however, was The 16th Annual Idaho Junior Golf Foundation Dinner and Auction held at Eagle Hills Golf Course. Last year the foundation gave out $12,000 in scholarships to junior golfers. This year, rough estimates are that we raised nearly $20,000 for the foundation from a single night of food and fun! Two Idaho golf legends, Joe Malay and Bret Rupert, did a fabulous job of entertaining everyone. When a 55" Flat Screen TV was raffled off then donated back to be auctioned off, it was just a sampling of the generosity and support of the whole crowd for such a great cause. I really enjoyed meeting the board members and other influential people associated with golf here in the Treasure Valley.

Until next time, hit 'em straight!


Comments

Popular Posts