Cool as a cucumber, but tough as nails

The sports anchor for the local news station use to do an event each summer called the "Great 18," where he would play one hole of golf per week at a course around the area versus the course pro and a local contestant. About 7 years ago, when I was 14, I applied to be the contestant. The contestant had never been a kid before but after calling the course pro to see if I was legit enough to play on TV, Dave Reichelt agreed to let me play against him on the "Great 18."

I still remember the day pretty well... We were to play my home hole, the 12th at Highland. I hit a couple poor shots but was able to make a 15 footer to save par and tie Dave. I was pretty proud of myself to not make a fool of myself on local TV! When the hole aired the next week, Dave introduced me as the title of this blog reads. It was a great compliment coming from an adult.

Flash forward to this year. For the league match play tournament at the course, my first round opponent? None other than Dave Reichelt. We played our match yesterday and I had Dave on the ropes being 3-up with 3 to play. However, I'm not as tough as I used to be. I let him back into the match, losing holes 16 and 17. On the 18th I conceded Dave his par and had a four footer left to win the match. A miss and we would be heading into a sudden death playoff. Still as cool as that cucumber though, I put the ball in the cup and moved on to the next round. Another great day on Highland Golf Course!

Comments

Popular Posts